Saturday, 24 October 2015

Just Popping in...

to share an idea that has worked and could be of use to others! I don't know about you but I enjoy the displaying of things nearly as much as the making. It is the chance to play with colours and shapes and put together something that is pretty to look at.

I decided to focus some crafting on a local sale that is being held to raise money for the Air Ambulance and wanted a way of displaying the stuff that would be easy to assemble and create a display.

As luck would have it, we had some warped doors replaced a couple of weeks ago and the old ones were left for recycling the wood as kindling... that was until I had other ideas.

Having taken a door apart I got to work with an electric saw and screwdriver and some chalk white paint and ended up with this...

Christmas Tree display stand

I am no carpenter, and YES the angles aren't exact by any means but it is fairly sturdy and does the job don't you think? The ribbons are just tied into a hole at each end of the branches. The badges and scrunchies are then pinned to the ribbons so that they can easily be removed and (hopefully!) sold.

The lavender bags and pin cushions can be placed at the bottom of the tree like presents.

Just a couple of peg bags to find a hanging spot for but that should be relatively easy.

Mini peg bags

These are some mini peg bags which I will fill with some little pegs and string which can be used to display Christmas cards.

Large peg bags

And these are the larger ones for normal sized pegs and I made a tutorial for these a while ago which you can find here.

 The crochet flowers are basically the triple layered flower, as shown in the tutorial by Lucy at Attic 24, but I missed off the outer row of colour.

Pin cushions and lavender bags

The pincushions are little bits of log cabin backed with denim, and the lavender bags were made using scraps from my stash and this years lavender.

Bottom of the tree..

The flower brooches are fun to make and use up the smallest scraps that you can't bear to throw away and the tutorial for those is here.

Scrunchies are just tubes of fabric around a piece of elastic but they are kind to hair and get used a lot in this house, in fact they go walking as fast as they are made unless pinned to a tree like these!

Interested Lizzie..

I had a little bit of 'help' with the photography from Lizzie who we were looking after but she was very good and didn't pinch any flowers!!!!

Happy making.

Monday, 25 May 2015

Taking a break

I will be taking a break from blogging for a while. My photos will still be over on Flickr where I keep a record of my sewing and growing, but life is pulling in different ways and blogging is a time consuming business. So I will leave you with the first poppy of the season.. 
First poppy of the season

What a cracker.
Vicky x

Monday, 18 May 2015

Colour in the Garden

I love May.
The garden really starts coming to life and every day there is a new flower or shoot to see.

Anthemis cupaniana- sicilian chamomile

Anthemis Cupaniana (Sicilian chamomile) - known here as Carine's daisises. She gave me a sprig to root about 8 years ago and we now have 5 or 6 huge plants. They flower their socks off until summer time when they can be dead headed to leave the silver foliage.

Aquilegia- or Granny's Bonnet

Aquilegia or Granny's Bonnets are self seeded all over the place. I have tried growing some other varieties but they don't seem to do as well as the wild ones.


Chives. Again self seeded from one very small clump grown from seed and far too many really but I can't bring myself to dig them up because they look so pretty.


The wisteria has finally reached the top of our pergola after 7 years. My dream of sitting underneath shaded from the sun is still a way off but does now seem a possibility.


Osteospermum- an old favourite.


Valerian- planted on top of a wall to try and compete with the ivy and stingers. Doing well now that it has established.


Violas by the back door- planted last autumn and nearly given up on until we went away at Easter and they were tended by person with green fingers and lots of patience! (not me)

Centaurea montana Purpurea- or Mountain cornflower

And finally for the flowers (yet more purple!!) the Centaurea montana Purpurea - or Mountain Cornflower. It spreads like wildfire but I figure anything that competes with the weeds and looks this good has got to be ok.

WIP- cosy blanket number two

Cosy Stripe Blanket number two is coming on but more slowly due to the lure of the garden.

WIP- some more badges in the making

And this is another WIP - scraps bonded to some double sided sticky stuff ready to make a few more badges.

Tally is snoozing again in her favourite place

Tally is outside in her favourite spot again taking it easy!